Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Day 4: Blisters, bros, and Bears

Good morning from Oakland, where Tanya’s apartment will be getting a favorable review on Yelp.  This entry will be short on words and long on pictures, mainly because I’m two days late getting into Oakland (which Tanya and her roommate Leena have reminded me of multiple times) and we need to get down to LA by 7:30pm tonight so I can pick up Matt from the airport.

Yesterday started in Willits, CA with a drive west on Highway 20, eventually making my way south on Highway 1.  The drive along the coast was once again stunning, with huge vistas around every corner.  And there were a lot of corners.  I’ve never driven a route with so many hairpin turns in my life.  I’m totally going to kick my nephews’ butts next time I play them in Mario Kart.




Although the drive was beautiful, it was very slow, with an average speed of about 35 mph along the entire route.  This was partly due to driving through a number of small towns and partly due to getting stuck behind semis and other slow moving vehicles, but mostly due to all the twists and turns of the road.  At one point, I realized I was starting to develop small blisters on my hands.






After about 4 hours of this, I somehow managed to get off Highway 1 and head east toward 101.  Must have missed a turn along the way.  But it ended up being for the better because at that point I was fatigued from all the high alert driving Highway 1 required.  I was also about 4 hours late for meeting Tanya at her office on campus in Berkeley and wanted to get to town before rush hour.

Upon pulling into Petaluma on my way south on 101, I encountered a street sign my 13-year-old self would have appreciated.  Who am I kidding?  My 38-year-old self still appreciates it.



After getting a Kale-ribbean Breeze smoothie at the local Jamba Juice, I was finally on my way to Berkeley.  After the half-hour drive, I made my way to campus to meet Tanya at her office at the Haas School of Business where she’s doing a postdoc.  I found a prime parking spot along Piedmont right in front of a frat house where the all the bros were playing corn hole and listening to obnoxiously loud Modest Mouse and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, which I can only assume they thought was classic rock.

As I walked along Piedmont, I saw Tanya a block ahead.  After getting her attention, I made sure she saw I was wearing my Corn Palace t-shirt in homage to one of the highlights of our trip out west last year.  Tanya greeted me with a legitimate hug (not one of her famous turn-your-shoulder-and-lean-in hugs) and we made our way to Haas so I could see her office. 
We then made our way down to one of the business districts in Berkeley so I could hit the bookstore and pick up the requisite Cal pint glass.  There we met our Chapel Hill friend and former tennis partner, Amanda, who came over from SF after work.  We got a quick tour of campus, then made our way the Cheese Board for a goat cheese and crimini mushroom pizz.  I don’t like goat cheese and Tanya doesn’t like mushrooms, but all three of us agreed the pizza was great while the vaguely international band behind us drowned out our conversation.













With stomachs full, we bid adieu to Amanda, at which point Tanya gave me a personalized tour of the Berkeley campus, complete with trips to the basketball arena, the football stadium (that we were chased out of by a tough guy rent-a-cop), and an incredible view of the entire bay area from the top of a hill on campus.























We then headed to Tanya's apartment where I was warmly greeted by Leena and a cake Tanya made celebrating my successful dissertation defense.




Today it's on to LA with many stops sure to be made along the way.  I say goodbye to Tanya after dropping her off in Chino Hills, pick up Matt at LAX, and begin the football extravaganza portion of the trip.

3 comments:

  1. Do you see now why we were miffed about you being late?? #datcaketho! So nice meeting you Sean! Have a great trip down to SoCal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two days late! If you didn't have football tickets to motivate you, you might never reach your destination.

    ReplyDelete